Religion - the spirit of the Balkans
Montana Region Nišava Region

"St. Holy Mary birth" Church , Berkovitsa

The church is contemporary of the Bulgarian Revival, center of boys and girls school, spiritual source for the citizens of Berkovitsa. It was rebuilt in 1843. The iconostasis is made by Samokov woodcarver. The icons are painted by Dimitar Zograph. They can be assigned to the best established in the country during the Renaissance. The bell tower was built in 1897. The bells are two, made in 1845 in Budapest and were later donated to the church by mason's guild.